Why it is Important to Hire a Reliable HVAC Contractor
This week on Tech Tips we’re going to cover a few reasons why it’s important to hire a reliable contractor for your HVAC maintenance and installation.
It’s easier than ever to find an HVAC company these days with Google, Bing and Facebook, but how do you know if they’re reliable? You’ve read the reviews, it seems to check out, but do you really know how your experience will be? Probably not, but there are a few things you can look for that can help ensure you have a good experience when you’re looking for an HVAC contractor.
Well reviews are generally a good starting point, but I encourage you to look beyond that and see how long they’ve been in business and check the BBB and other resources. You can also look to see if they’re members of the chamber of commerce or involved with other community events. These are all good things to look for, but when it comes down to service you need someone you can count on.
Here at Superior Heating Cooling Plumbing we take pride in our customer service team and all of our service technicians. We’ve been here since 1972 so we’ve seen it all, and even if we’re not your first choice we want to help you find the right contractor for you.
Another important thing to look for is if your contractor is Factory authorized. This is important and means they’ve been fully vetted by the manufacturer to ensure they’re reliable and they understand the equipment fully. In most cases this also mean that they will be able to stock inventory of equipment and parts to make sure that your problem is solved quickly and you don’t have to wait for parts or your new HVAC equipment.
We want you to feel comfortable with Superior Heating Cooling Plumbing and it’s important to us that your experience is top notch.
Thank you for checking out Tech Tips this week, and we will see you next week for a new topic.
Not All HVAC Techs Are Created Equal
Good HVAC Technicians are very hard to find and train. It has always been a top priority at Superior to only employ great technicians. It is ultimately the number one thing that customers judge you on as a company. A great service technician will always:
- Make the homeowner feel comfortable
- Be courteous and respectful of one's home
- Present transparent pricing for repairs and services
- Fix equipment fast and efficiently
- Be very careful in how they condemn systems
Notice the last bullet point?
The Art Of Condemning An AC System
There are two scenarios that usually take place. Some examples are more dramatic than others, but you're usually guaranteed to receive one version or the other.
- Scenario #1: Scenario one usually takes place with a reputable company sending out an experienced technician. After running diagnostics on your system the technician has pinpointed the problem with the AC system. Let’s say this particular AC system is older and the repair is costly. The HVAC tech then consults with the homeowner on the cost of the repair (even if it is costly for an older system) and discusses price comparisons between replacing the system or repairing the system. The homeowner has transparently presented both options. The service technician gives a professional recommendation but does not try to pressure sell them into buying new equipment, therefore, leaving the decision in the hands of the homeowner.
- Scenario #2: Scenario two is very different. In this scenario, the HVAC technician diagnoses the problem, but purposely increases the price of the repair in order to help push the customer in the direction of purchasing new equipment. This technician is much more aggressive in trying to lead the customer down the path of replacement as he realizes he is in for a timely repair.
What To Look For When Establishing Trust With Your HVAC Technician
Most technicians are trustworthy people. They wouldn’t be in their position if they weren’t. There are a variety of different questions you can ask yourself to help establish whether you can trust a particular tech.
- Did they quote you a price for the repair before quoting you on a replacement? If the answer to this is no, then there is a good chance you are dealing with scenario 2.
- Do you feel like you are being sold? While most great technicians have a natural ability for salesmanship, you as a consumer have a line that shouldn’t be crossed when being pitched a product or service. Especially within the confines of your own home. If you feel like their sales pitch is coming in too aggressive, it probably is.
- How Long Did They Spend Diagnosing The Problem? If someone comes in and condemns your system in the first 15 minutes of being there, they better have a definitive reason why the system is shot. In most cases, jumping to conclusions early usually is not a good thing for the consumer.
Always Check Online Reviews
Online reviews are a great way to gauge the ethics of an HVAC service department. If the company is under a 4.0 rating on major review sites such as Google, Facebook, and the BBB, chances are you won’t be blown away by their customer service. HVAC companies that maintain high ratings usually care about their customers and look to provide excellent service.
We Want To Earn Your Trust
As a company, we can tell you why to trust us, but we also understand trust is not something that is given, it is earned. When you call us for a repair, our goal is to repair your AC system as fast and affordable as possible. Condemning a system is the last resort. If you have dealt with or are currently working with an HVAC company that you feel is driving the price of repairs up to persuade you into replacing your system, give us a call for a second opinion at (314) 209-7500 or fill out the online form submission below.
"*" indicates required fields