The Moment You Notice Your Home Heater Not Working
Furnace problems are never a fun expense. They almost always are needed at inconvenient times when you depend on your heating system the most. There is a certain feeling you get in your stomach the moment you realize your home heater stopped working. Your home goes from warm and cozy to feeling as if someone opened a window. After you check the thermostat, you realize there is a five to ten degree gap between what it is set at and the actual temperature inside your home. Next you rush to your vents to see if they are blowing warm air. Here is the realization that there is a major problem when you find your furnace blowing cold air. Sometimes there is no air being disbursed at all. Even after rushing to recheck the thermostat settings, your furnace won’t kick on. It is at this very moment you may be in need of furnace repair. So what are the next steps you take after you realize your home heater not working?
4 Steps To Take When Noticing Your Home Heater Not Working
While no one prefers to live in sub artic indoor temperatures, it is important not to panic. Most HVAC repair companies are only a phone call away, and the good ones can likely repair the same day. However, before you go calling the first number that pops up on a search engine, here are four necessary steps you should take in order to provide the company with the proper information, and potentially save you time and money on a heating repair.
1) Check The Thermostat
It sounds simple, but you would be amazed at how common a thermostat setting is at fault for home furnaces not working properly. Double-check to make sure the thermostat is set correctly. During the heating season, it will need to be set in the “Heat” position with the fan either on “Auto” or “On.” Check to make sure you have the temperature set around 70-75 degrees. If the thermostat is not turning on, change the batteries. This will likely be why your furnace is not turning on.
2) Make Sure Power Is On To The Furnace
If everything appears to be set properly on your thermostat, head to your furnace. On the side of the furnace, look for a service switch. It often resembles a light switch. If this switch is in the down position, there is a good chance it is off. You will want to flip it back on. Young children have a tendency to flip this switch from time to time. If the furnace switch is in the “On” position, it means your furnace is likely receiving power and is still not working.
3) Check The Furnace Filter
If you haven’t changed your furnace filter for awhile, you definitely want to make sure it is not clogged with dust. It’s never a bad idea to replace it on the spot if you have an extra filter laying around.
4) Call A Professional HVAC Repair Company
If your furnace refuses to turn on or work properly after doing the three steps above, there is a good chance you are in need of professional HVAC repair.
Why Is My Heater Not Working?
Without a professional HVAC repair technician opening up your furnace, it is almost impossible to diagnose the exact problem. However, below are some common furnace repairs associated with the most common symptoms of a heater not working properly.
Heater Blowing Cold Air
- Limit Switch
- Pressure Switch
- Flame Sensor
- Control Board Malfunction
Furnace Won’t Kick On At All
- Blower Motor
- Clogged AC Coil
- Control Board Malfunction
Choosing The Right Heating Repair Company
When it comes to picking a heating repair company in the St Louis or St Charles area, homeowners have plenty of options. But before you call the number you got from the sticker on your furnace or the first listing you see online, we recommend doing some quick research to help find the best fit for you and your home.
- Online Reviews– Online reviews have become a vital piece of consumer decision making in the home service industry. Take some time to read through the experiences of past customers for a handful of companies. This can establish expectations on what to expect and who you can potentially be doing business with.
- BBB Accreditation– While many similar rating systems have rolled out over the last decade or so, the Better Business Bureau still remains the gold standard in our industry. Any HVAC company that tells you otherwise is usually telling you that for a reason.
- Research Their Website– This can be asking a lot for someone dealing with furnace problems, but is extremely helpful in getting an idea for what a company stands for.
HVAC Preventative Maintenance Works
Last year, we conducted an internal study based on all of our heating repair tickets. What we found was eye opening. Out of all the heating repair calls our Superior technicians went on, we found that more than 60% of the service calls were for items that could have been prevented through routine HVAC maintenance. These were for furnace repairs such as:
- Clogged Drain Hose
- Dirty Sensors
- Blower Wheels Caked With Dirt
- Dust & Dirt On Circuit Boards (Can cause a system to require replacement)
Schedule Home Heater Repair Today
If you are in need of home heater repair, give our office a call today at (314) 209-7500 or fill out the online form below.
Why Choose Superior?
When it comes to residential heater repair, we understand that timeliness is important. If your home is not receiving heat, we work as hard as we can to get it back up and running fast and efficiently.
- 98.2% Of Our Heating Service Calls Result In Same-Day Service
- 94.8% Of The Time Our Technicians Will Have The Replacement Part On Hand In Order To Make The Repair That Day